A library is a hospital for the mind. ~Anonymous

Monday, May 16, 2011

Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

Praise for Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians: "Sanderson unexpectedly draws everything together in an extravagantly silly climax. Readers whose sense of humor runs toward the subversive will be instantly captivated. Like Lemony Snicket and superhero comics rolled into one (and then revved up on steroids), this nutty novel… is also sure to win passionate fans." -Publishers Weekly, starred review

"This is an excellent choice to read aloud to the whole family. It's funny, exciting, and briskly paced. Best of all, the message it gives young readers is that a person's flaws- being late, breaking things, etc.-can sometimes turn into useful talents." -Nancy Pearl, National Public Radio

"The conventional trappings of the middle-school fantasy get turned upside down in this zany novel… The adventures are engaging as well as silly. Readers who prefer fantasy with plenty of humor should enjoy entering Alcatraz's strange but amusing world." -School Library Journal

So I think I'm too old to read this book.  I love Brandon Sanderson but I was left a little disappointed when I read it.  I think it's fantastic for kids around ten years old because it has adventure, a fun character, an interesting plot, magic, etc but for older readers it left me wanting.  I guess my biggest issue was that I didn't like how the narrator (Alcatraz) kept interjecting his thoughts and disrupting the flow of the story.  Someone once compared it to Lemony Snicket and I didn't like those either so maybe it's just they writing style.  Not my favorite by a long shot.  I'll be honest, I'll probably buy the book because I'm a HUGE Sanderson fan but I'll only read it if my daughter wants me to read it to her at bed time.  I was honestly left very disappointed and would much rather concentrate my reading efforts (for both myself & my daughter) on something else. 

No comments:

Post a Comment